Saturday, January 14, 2012

Tuesday, January 10, 2012


Today, we learned what our rotations would be. My first rotation is on the endocrinology/nephrology unit, which is with patients who have hormone problems and diabetes as well as kidney issues. Patients who struggle with growth hormone deficiency or those that have too much growth hormone being released in their bodies are on this unit. It is an outpatient clinic, so there will be no long term stays for these patients. Many of them come to the clinic and leave the same day or are admitted into an inpatient unit. My supervisor’s name is Amy and she seems really cool. She was talking all about dialysis and how I will get to know the dialysis machines really well as well as the patients who come in for dialysis 3 times a week, every week. Can you imagine? Coming and sitting for up to 5 hours at a time, three times a week?! Wow. Anyway, that is exciting.
My second rotation is in the SPA. Now, I know what you all are thinking.. SPA?! WHAT? MANI/PEDI?! Haha. I wish. This is the Special Procedures Area. This is where patients go to get bone marrow aspirations, colonoscopies, etc. etc. etc. Not fun stuff. This is where patients go to be put under anesthesia and then they usually wake up here too, and are then moved either back to their room or into recovery. It is a very different atmosphere in there. Very loud, fast paced, cramped. When we were standing on the unit, there was a child crying from waking up from anesthesia, nurses talking, machines beeping, people moving beds from room to room, etc. There is just a lot going on in there. I will be on that unit for 7 weeks.
By the end of our rotations, we will get to be “running the floor” by ourselves! That is crazy for me to think about right now because I am nowhere near ready for that right now. But, I have no doubt that this internship will prepare me. The curriculum is CRAZZZYYY!!! But good.
Today was only the second day of my internship and I drove to and from the hospital WITHOUT my GPS. Be proud. I was for sure proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment