Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Camp Courage

A couple of weekends ago I went to Camp Courage.
This is a camp for siblings of children with chronic illnesses or disabilities.
It was amazing. It was at this place called Camp John Marc.
Camp John Marc is marvelous. If I end up staying in TX, then I want to be a volunteer there.
Everything at the camp is geared to accommodate children with disabilities. There are paved walk ways everywhere. There is fishing, cooking, rock climbing, swimming, etc. The pool has a beach side entrance for kids in wheelchairs. The showers are made so that wheelchairs just wheel on in.
The staff was great too. It was a bunch of college kids or young adults but you could tell they were more than just that. It takes special people to WANT to work at a camp like that.
Although I went with a group of kids that did not have disabilities, these staff members work with kids with cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injuries, epilepsy, etc. Amazing.
I was even able to lead an activity while I was there. Me! The INTERN! Yeah, I'm awesome.
I just love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment